Monday, June 15, 2009

Schoolism

It has taken me awhile to get back on top of things recently as I just started a new job. More on that later. Now that I have finally started balancing time there with the rest of my life, I have also started Steven Silver's Character Design class on Schoolism.com. Check it out. Seriously.

I am so excited for this class, and I really do love my job. It is not 100% ideal... but I think right now (or at least today), I am starting to regain some footing for the first time in the past 12 months. I still have a long, long, long way to go before I get back to where I was at the end of sophomore year... but one step at a time. :) I don't know if that's optimism or my first paycheck talking... but hey, I hope it lasts!

Without further ado, my first character design for the class.

Character description: Jerry Loomy
-used car salesman boss, NY, 2008
-A cruel, moody, high strong, dishonest man
-wears a cheap button down shirt, w/ a vest or sports coat and a greasy tank top underneath and a tie that doesn't fit
-middle aged, white male
-negative attitude towards life
-stocky build around 5' 4"
-patch over an eye and missing a finger due to an angry employee biting it off
-lare round head w/ deep set eyes and sunburned skin
-receding hairline w/ a pony tail
-mouth with yellow stained teeth

I know I have a long way to go in this class... but you have to start somewhere. And for me, especially with inventing people, etc. I am at the very beginning.

Here he is:



There's not much difference between the two (besides color obviously). Steven said we didn't need to color it... and I didn't really in the second one - just dropped a multiply layer with a couple of highlights.

Updates soon with 3d models for Scott's class, more art for Josh's class, and more designs for Steven's class! If my boss says it's ok, I might include some stuff here from work too... but we'll see!

p.s. I wonder if anyone can tell which actor/character from a movie I modeled this after...

1 comment:

  1. He looks cool! Reminds me a bit of a dwarfish Mad-Eye Moody.

    ReplyDelete